- Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa with more than 160 million people living there
- It is often referred to as the”giant of Africa” because one in every seven Africans is from Nigeria
- Nigeria has more than 250 ethnic groups, however there are 5 dominant tribes: the Ibo (Igbo), Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri, and Yoruba
- Christianity and Islam are the major religions, though they are greatly divided
- Nigeria is one of the largest producers of crude oil
- More than half of the residents live without electricity
- Poverty in Nigeria is rising, with almost 100 million people living on less than $1 a day, despite strong growth in Africa’s second largest economy
THE BOKO HARAM
Nigeria is one of the most populous countries in Africa. Despite it’s high economic growth, challenges in Nigeria remains significant – over a third of the population struggle to make ends meet, facing poverty and extreme hunger. Ordinary people are suffering each day.
The need for ministry remains a huge challenge. Wide differences between predominantly Muslim and Christian areas of Nigeria have created tensions which have escalated into violence. In some states Christians face intense persecution. Recent attacks by the radical Islamic group Boko Haram targeting Christian churches, have killed hundreds.
Watch the video below to learn more.
That so much injustice, violence, and bloodshed permeate our society today is a clear indication that we all indeed need God’s mercy, for blessed are the merciful for they shall receive mercy.
-Bishops of the Ibadan region.
Nne Enyemaka Parish
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish
Welcome to the Nne Enyemaka Parish in Umuaka, Imo State, Nigeria. Nne Enyemaka is Igbo for “Our Lady of Perpetual Help.”
The parish is a personal parish in the Catholic diocese of Orlu and was inaugurated by Bishop, His Lordship, Augustine T. Ukwuoma. Fr. Angelo Vanderputten and Fr. Timothy O’Brien currently are stationed at the parish.
Nigeria is a main focus of Mission Tradition’s work today. With dedication to Our Lady of Perpetual Help, the presence of the Fraternity provides a powerful witness of sacrifice, love, and service to others that goes beyond the average expectation.
Donate and Support Children in Africa!
Your gift will go to support education, strong infrastructure, clean water and the farm.